Green Entrepreneurship 2 – Development of Ecotourism Destinations in Romania – a joint program of Romanian-American Foundation and Fundažia pentru Parteneriat
Program manager: Fundažia pentru Parteneriat
Funding partner: Romanian-American Foundation
Strategic partner: Asociatia de Ecoturism din Romania
Budget: US$ 1,100,000 RAF contribution, US$ 33,000 REPF contribution and US$ 973,732 leveraged by REPF through ecotourism grants in targeted regions
Duration: 60 months (July 1st, 2014 – June 30th, 2019)
To enhance the establishment and consolidation of a country wide ecotourism network, that will contribute to local sustainable development and nature conservation.
An ecotourism destination is a micro-region with remarkable natural and cultural assets, where sustainable tourism can be conducted, offering integrated experiences with minimal environment impact, by aggregating a network of complementary ecotourism service providers under the same common marketing and development strategy. The destination needs to be “managed” by an entity, the Ecotourism Destination Management Unit – EDMU, that is entrusted by the community with delegated power to coordinate and implement the community plans.
• To enhance the setting up of the national network of ecotourism destinations that will meet the specific requirements established by the National Tourism Authority;
• To transform ecotourism in a strategic tourism product segment that will contribute to the sustainable development of at least 7 micro regions of Romania that are suitable for such kind of activities;
• To develop the needed management capacities at the level of at least 7 ecotourism destinations through the creation of Ecotourism Destination Management Units (EDMU).
- at least 7 self-sustainable ecotourism destination management units (EDMU) created;
- at least 7 functional ecotourism destinations certified and managed according to ecotourism principles;
- 14 local ecotourism destination managers trained;
- local entrepreneurship will benefit from linking ecotourism related producers and service providers to market opportunities and to each other;
- local products and services will be gathered and promoted under the brand of the ecotourism destinations;
- new ecotourism related start-up businesses will be established and new jobs will be created in the targeted micro-regions;
- increased but at the same time sustainable use of the environmental and cultural assets of the targeted regions, with improved management of local resources and assets;
- Increased attractiveness and improved promotion of distinctive, high quality tourism products and services for Romania as an ecotourism destination.